Pipe Shelving

15:21

Whew! Long time no see!

Sometimes life just gets in the way of mini making. Sadly, for the past few months my studies have been keeping me very busy, and I couldn't find the time to sit down and write up this blogpost. 
But I hope to get back in the swing of things. So for today I have for you some pictures of how I made this shelving unit.


Now, I must confess, most of the miniatures I'm making or putting into this room are things I would love to have in real life. I love this particular style, the industrial chic look, but still homely. Same goes for this shelving unit. I have seen lots of variations and tutorials, so when we ever get a bigger house, I know what I'm going to install first!

On to the miniature version! I took some small plastic tubing, and a hairdryer, to curve the top of the 'pipes'. I heated the plastic to bend it.


Then I cut many smaller bits of the same tubes, and glued them to some washers about the right size. These were to be glued along the pipes, to support the shelves.


Then I took another plastic tube, which was just a bit bigger than the other tube, so that it fits snugly around. I cut several thing pieces. I also painted the tubes and washers black.



And this was was the end result of the top of the piping.


I forgot to take pictures of the next steps, but it involved a lot of glue. Glueing flat things (the smaller pipe bits) on round things wasn't fun. But I love how it has turned out!


In the next few weeks I should be getting 3D printed chairs, my designs from the lasercutter, lights, and more, and I can't wait! I have been eyeing the chairs for forever, and the lasercutter designs have been collecting dust in my computer folder for weeks. But finally they are on their way to me! I hope I will find the time to assemble everything in between studying and working, though. I don't want to go another 3 months without mini-making. 

I loved seeing all the contest entries last month! All your blogs have kept me very inspired to keep at my project.

Until next time!
~Rebecca




You Might Also Like

4 reacties

  1. Hi Rebecca, so nice to see you again, too bad study and work is keeping you so/too busy for miniatures! But these shelves are wonferful! I agree totally with the industrial but homely etc, I like that a lot too. Very nice job and I'm looking forward to the rest, the room looks very complete already, love it!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. These shelves are great. You put a lot of detail into them.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Awesome! I was looking to make something similar for a future project....now I know it can actually work! You did a great job

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Totally awesome, i really like your bookshelves! I understand about life getting in the way of minis im working days for 3 months im so beat when i get home. Keep up the good work


    Hugs marisa

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen